Friday, September 21, 2007

20 million dollars

The going rate for a ticket to the international space station is $20 million. I've decided that if i ever have that much money I'm gonna fly into space and satisfy one of my boyhood dreams that never came true. I understand that it is probably a selfish pursuit. I understand that there are probably better ways for one to spend that much money.

I don't really care.

If i won the lottery and came up short of my $20 million goal, then i'd think about more philanthropic ideas. If i were to find myself with more than the cost of a ticket into space then i would do the same with the remainder left over after space. I figure, I could donate all the money in the world to charity and still not solve the problems of this world. Maybe all it really takes to inspire change is to be a good person and to set a good example for others. The world might be a different place if we had some real leaders and not just men (and women) who do or say anything to indulge themselves with power and influence. These are people who like to see their faces on television and billboards. They get drunk off of the sound of their own voice.

I just want to fly into space and stay there for a couple of days. I would like the see the earth from outside. I want to experience to illusion of weightlessness and the reality of falling into nothing at extreme rates of speed. I want to know what the stars look like from beyond the veil of pollution and human arrogance. I want to travel through time, even if it is just a couple of seconds (proven scientific fact that astronauts travel forward in time every time they orbit the earth). I want to leave this earth, even if just for a couple of days.

No comments: